Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Zen's youtube faves

Maybe you know this, maybe you don't. It's wonderful though, so if you don't, you'll thank me, and if you do, you'll thank me for reminding you.



Bettie Serveert, for those who don't.

This is the new big thing, the Enemy. I can take or leave it, but it's reminded me to crack out that old Jam compilation, so all's good.



In case you were wondering why I was raving about Feist's new album, here's her video. It's fun in a trying to hard to be kooky way. I was surprised to hear one of her songs used in a link on telly, but I suppose I'm not the only guy who recognises great instant pop when he hears it.



More pop magic. Get the gamine!




Talking of pop, I don't think anyone's ever topped this guy. The first gig I ever saw was about when this came out. Fucking exciting.




And in case you were wondering, Carol van Dijk still has a fantastic voice.





Oh, and here's the Editors' leadoff single from their new album. Many reviews have noted that the album is "frontloaded", mostly because the last couple of tracks are a bit weak, and that's a lot to do with this song, which is the standout.



And I had to add this. It's brilliant. If you don't think so, you're too old/stupid/ugly for pop. I'm not, I love it!

11 Comments:

At 1:53 pm, Blogger AJ said...

It's fun in a trying to hard to be kooky way.

Nonsense. It's simply fun. I use some of those moves while pushing the grocery cart through the supermarket when a good song like that comes on.

 
At 1:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the human spirit is a wonderful thing.

 
At 2:04 pm, Blogger AJ said...

the human spirit is a wonderful thing.

Indeed, it is. Which reminds me, I don't like your new tagline, Zen. It's damned depressing.

 
At 2:12 pm, Blogger Dr Zen said...

I don't agree. I think it's quite the contrary. You should read it like this: "living in a world that's ugly and strange, but [even if it is] it's all we have [to share]", which was the sentiment of the original post I took it from: http://gollyg.blogspot.com/2005/07/men-among-us.html

 
At 2:49 pm, Blogger AJ said...

It reads better in context, but it's still depressing to me.

There is ugliness, but I don't think the world is ugly, there is strangeness, but I don't think the world is strange. Not when I take the world in context of the whole rather than the ugly and strange parts.

 
At 2:52 pm, Blogger Dr Zen said...

You should get out more. The world is fucking horrible.

 
At 3:14 pm, Blogger AJ said...

You should get out more.

Should I? Or should you?

 
At 3:17 pm, Blogger Dr Zen said...

I already get out far too much. If I could just stay at home for the next five years, I'd probably be okay.

 
At 3:31 pm, Blogger AJ said...

If I could just stay at home...

Staying at home is giving me a very unreal sense of my life. I feel as though I'll never go back to work, never finish my degree, never do anything ever again but take care of C and fix up my house. Nothing else seems the least bit important right now.

 
At 3:34 pm, Blogger Dr Zen said...

I will never go back to work. I will never finish a degree. I will never do anything again.

 
At 4:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never do anything again.

Fiddlesticks.

A

 

Post a Comment

<< Home