Saturday, April 24, 2004

Back on the ranch

For a man who practically lives online (or at least in front of a PC), it's almost distressing to be out and about in the sunshine. Almost.

Of course, I have to find work. If I didn't, I'd still be offline. Maybe forever. (Only kidding, ladies, I'd still be posting those risque photos of my schlong at... jeez, you wouldn't believe it, I've mislaid the address.) BTW, anyone who wants to employ an extremely good editor, the email addy is top left. Reasonable rates, etc etc. (I'd even work for the haddad. He claims he has a business. Mates' rates for him, innit.)

The interwebnet is like smack. Except you don't ever get a rush, just mild amusement the first time you make someone dance over a hot flame. But it's equally as addictive. I've stolen many hours of various employers' time feeding the monkey. I've kidded myself that I really need to know about people's lives on the other side of the world, that I'm not just nosing around in others' laundry, which they have foolishly hung out in public. Or, which is worse, spending hours teasing overexcitable young men into almost sexual excitement as they try to get the better of you in verbal jousting for which they are pitifully ill equipped.

Often you feel you'd be better off reading a book. (Yes, I know, the world's literature is there to be found on the web, and so many exciting sites about dinosaur bones -- how could I live without reading yet another rebuttal of some nuthouse creationist bollocks.)

A couple of days back, I took Zenella for a walk around the back of the oval. A yellow butterfly crossed our path. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. Winter is coming and it's 26 degrees outside. Zenella cannot stop smiling and dancing. She has her own room and a back yard bigger than our whole flat in Tooting. She doesn't know how dull she'll find the place in 13-14 years and she doesn't need to.

I have my 1300-dollar stereo and my CD collection that I haven't seen in two and a half years. Guess what? I'm smiling and dancing too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home