Thursday, August 30, 2007

9821

is not much money.

Why wouldn't you get a gun and shoot Thorley?

Don't let's pretend that we have our world the way it is so that we all benefit. The rich have what they can get away with stealing.

Why don't we get guns and shoot the rich?

Punch Taverns made 249 million pounds before tax last year.

***

9821 would not keep a family. It's less than 200 quid a week. You don't pay much tax on it, so you keep most.

Even if you paid half into rent or mortgage, what would that buy you?

And with the half that's left, you're walking to work if you want your kids to eat. And you can't afford to drink in a Punch Taverns pub.

***

9821 is the average. That means many employees are on less.

Less than 9821.

***

The UK is one of the richest countries on Earth. In most places, 9821 pounds is a small fortune.

Now tell me, how do you stay joyful in a world like that? Must we just say to ourselves, well, I have more than 9821 coming in?

Do we just say fuck them, because we are all right?

And if we do, what happens when we aren't? If my main gig goes flat, I'm going to be lucky to make 9821.

If my main gig goes flat...

Is this the best we can do? A world in which my family has nothing if my main gig goes flat, and I'm one of the lucky ones?

Don't let's pretend that's the best world we could have built.

And because it isn't, I can't feel good about it. Do you ever have that feeling? That second is so far short of first that only first will do?

***

But hating it does no good, I know. I know that rage is impotent on its own.

I know that rage can rob you of your life, when you only have the one, and so little of it seems to be worth living, so little.

But you cannot turn it off. I fear that if I did, I wouldn't be me, that rage is who I am, rage and spite.

9 Comments:

At 7:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

boots sez:

"Is this the best we can do? A world in which my family has nothing if my main gig goes flat, and I'm one of the lucky ones?"

That's it mate, it's the best the material world will do for your lame arse because it's driven by greed and fear and you're fodder and no more to it.

My main gig went flat around the turn of the millenium, and I am thankful for that because the event set me free. Madness is as madness does, and the material world does what it pleases with those it can drain like a vampire until they die from inability to pay it sufficient obeisance.

It becomes more clear with each diarization that your main gig is deflating like a balloon, and since you continue to attempt to cope with the material world by its rules there is little hope that it will reinflate unless you pitch all thought of personal freedom and become corporate git.

Events in your life will occur as they must, whether the reasons are clear to you at the time or not. I hope the best for you, but in your eyes that is a curse; carry on then.

 
At 12:34 am, Blogger Father Luke said...

I don't know.

I just quit a high paying gig to be
poor, and free. Then people felt
sorry for me, and they started giving
me things.

None of it makes any sense to me.
None of it.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

 
At 3:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

9821 as a total income is bit of a misrepresentation of the facts isn't it.

As a large percentage of the Jobs at Punch Taverns are part time jobs, evening bar staff etc.

 
At 8:51 am, Blogger Dr Zen said...

No, I'm afraid it isn't. The figures are annualised.

And the thing to note is that this was an *average*. So part-time waiters get paid an annual equivalent that is *even less* than that.

What's a pint of beer now? How many to a barmaid's wages?

 
At 11:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The figures are annualised.

I don't think you understand fully.

Wage bill divided by number of staff (part time/short term) will give a low average as there will be many workers doing a few hours a week for example some will only be doing 5 hours on a Friday night. In fact most are part timers working a second job or are students etc. The current minimum wage is £5.35 an hour on a 37 hour week that works out at £10293.40 per annum. So the figure of £9821 is obviously a part time wage. Most pub staff apart from Managers and Kitchen staff are part timers the majority of which will earn less than £9821pa.

Beer is around £2.50-3.00 a pint whole sale Beer price is £1.25-1.50 a pint.

 
At 11:32 am, Blogger Dr Zen said...

You are of course wrong. How often you've heard that!

A 35-hour week at 5.35 comes to 9737. But guess what, you forgot that some pubs have some staff who are not yet 21. They raked in 8099 a year. Lucky fuckers.

 
At 8:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Full time 37 hours a week bar staff earn more than the mimimum hourly rate. Only casual part timers will be paid the minimum.

You pulled the 35 hour working week out of your arse didn't you, no full time worker in catering/pub works such short hours.

Cleaners/bar staff/kitchen porters will be on minimum as will waiting staff but waiting staff will easily double/triple their money on tips.

 
At 10:51 am, Blogger Dr Zen said...

You are wrong in every way possible. A working week is 35 hours, not 37. Here in Australia, it's 37, but not in the UK. Any figures are worked out on 35 hours, dude.

It doesn't matter what people actually work. Remember you are trying to discuss part time hours, and I am saying they are annualised.

You've never been a waiter, that's obvious.

 
At 12:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

UK working week 35hour?

Only in a few industries.

Annualised please post a link, as i can find nothing that states the fact that the figures are based on annual income. In an industry where 75% are part time workers, any calculation is bound to be flawed, and statically biased toward those who are paying for the survey. Even you have to admit that you can not trust a single statical source unless you are aware of the methodology. Unless of course the out come supports your agenda.

No never been a waiter, but i doubt you have in recent years. But i do eat out in restaurants 3 times a week and i know what tips waiters and waitresses get (most tip 10% average meal for 4 £80-100 you do the maths). You are loosing touch with the RW while sat in your basement the world is passing you by.

You have even succumbed to that thing which you criticise me for and thats falling for a headline.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home