Thursday, July 12, 2007

Vale Smegma

A very sad day for me. The Smegma has been towed away to the car graveyard. It has been coming for a while, but I am teary about having no car, and I had grown attached to the Smeg over the past couple of years that I've been driving. I'm not really a car person. Flashy motors don't turn me on. But I do grow attached to possessions, so I'm sad to lose the Smeg. It all happened in a hurry. It's had problems, of course (it's nearly 30 years old, so you'd expect a few things to go wrong here and there), but out of the blue it refused to start, and the RACQ couldn't start it. The cylinders have gone, whatever that means, and that's that.

Sigh. Now I will have to find several thousand dollars to buy a new car. I could live with one, but it will clip my wings.

7 Comments:

At 4:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss having my own car, too. It's such wonderful freedom not to have to work out with someone else whether or not you can go somewhere.

If the cylinders are gone...wouldn't that mean an engine overhaul? That would be cheaper than another car.

A

 
At 4:13 pm, Blogger Dr Zen said...

Nah. It's 1500+ for this, then the next thing that goes wrong...

 
At 6:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

boots sez:

"Smegma"? What the hell is that? It sounds like a type of acne or something. Aussie brand name?

Where did the cylinders "go"? Did they manage to jump out when all witnesses were elsewhere?

I had a generator a couple years ago that went what sounds like a similar route. The piston rings were so worn that it was useless. The cost of labor for an overhaul would've been nearly as much as a new generator.

If it hasn't gone to the junkyard yet, you might find some young gearhead who'd swap the engine with one recovered from a newer wreck, might only cost a few hundred. Of course if the engine was the best of the lot, well there you are.

My computer has been whining for months about an imminent hard-drive crash. I could replace it now, so it will probably keep going for some time... the moment I can no longer replace it, then's the time.

 
At 10:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Australians (yes you count as Australian)have he highest CO2 per person emission in the world yes higher than Americans! and that 30 year old lump probably produced the same emissions as a hundred modern cars.

 
At 2:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the RACQ couldn't start it. The cylinders have gone, whatever that means"

It's not quite as imaginative as a screamed conversation about flux-capacitors over the noise of a DeLorien's cockpit, but it certainly qualifies as a beautiful piece of fictive prose, (whatever that means).

 
At 10:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to figure out what a RACQ is.

A

 
At 10:28 am, Blogger Dr Zen said...

Royal Automobile Club of Queensland. A breakdown service.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home