Friday, January 19, 2007

Around and about

Blogs originated more or less as, much as the name suggests, logs of places visited on the web. They are good ways to show people things they did not know they were interested in, or frankly that they are not interested in. In my case, it makes a scary map of the inside of my head. Anyway, this is one of those posts. A lot of these links are from digg or slashdot, or followup links from articles and sites they link to.

This is quite fun. I am going to try it with my own variables and see what I come up with. Later though.

These are nice. I do enjoy nice typography, and I've worked in environments that required me to play around with it, although I'm pretty much a Franklin Gothic and some sort of Times clone man at heart.

If, like me, you set goals that you have no intention of making any effort to achieve, or every intention but never actually do anything -- which to my mind is the same thing -- Joe's Goals is for you. I'll do almost anything for a smiley face.

There are several ways of increasing your blog's readership. Be interesting is obviously one that has escaped me but carnivals are another. I hosted one once and it was widely acclaimed as the worst ever. LOL. Well, I unleashed my idea of fun on some of the most poefaced posters to perturb the blogosphere. I had much more in the way of LOLlers than they did, as did my regular reader(s), who are on the whole naughty people who enjoy naughtiness.

This sounds like one of those good ideas that you download and then don't bother with: a graphical garden thing made up of places you've visited. I cut the middleman by not even bothering to d/l it.

I am colourblind. I figured out from this site that I have protanomaly. I've always thought I see what nonblindies see but have problems interpreting it. Which I think is true but I also just don't see some things. It's scary to think that we have this sense we rely on but it's entirely unreliable. Not surprising, but scary that we do not even consider that it can be unreliable.

My dad bought a BBC micro when I was a youngster. Sadly, I was a rather halfhearted geek, and consequently do not have a range of tradeable skills in the computing area. Pity, because I am skilled only in a declining area. Anyway, the best thing about the BBC was Elite. If you don't know what that is, you have missed out on one of the greatest computer games EVAH! There's a windows version you can get somewhere, but I've mislaid the link. If you want it though, use the email thing and I'll send it you (although I must admit to not having installed it, because it's a RAR file and I don't have an unRARer on this machine).

This is sweet but a bit minimalist, and you're probably not going to have much need for "pear" in Moroccan, but even so, it's interesting without being useful or even particularly informative.

1 Comments:

At 9:49 am, Blogger Don said...

I like that PacketGarden idea -- creating art from the residue of production -- something like my appreciation for old factories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home