Tuesday, December 19, 2006

More naked emperors

: "Dinos Chapman has said that if he met Goya, he'd like to tread on his toes, shout in his ear, punch him in the face."

Best pick on old Goya, nearly blind and crippled, then. The younger version wore a sword and was much harder than this primped, prissy pansy. Chapman would have been swiftly murdered, which, given his "art"'s focus on gore and death, would have been fun. (I'm struggling not to use the word "ironic" because I have been reading Fowler recently and I've sworn off modish uses of words that he would have detested.)

Here's the thing though. Goya was a genius, a brilliant innovator who reached into the human soul and created art that touches those who see it. The Chapmans aren't, aren't and don't. They're just fuckheads who are talked up by other fuckheads. Searle points out that no one knows how to respond to the Chapmans' work. That's because no one wants to be first to say "it's shit, isn't it?" because they're afraid that someone will snootily suggest they don't understand art. Well, I do understand art and I'm not afraid of not being fashionable. I'll say it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home