Saturday, July 03, 2004

Doing it for free

While searching for a way to turn big Quicktime files into smaller, compressible Mpegs (a search that continues because I ran out of patience long before I ran out of possible pages to look at), I stumbled on Irfan View.

For a free graphics viewer, it's a really nice piece of software. Given how many piccies I'll be processing in the next few weeks, it'll come in handy.

It's quite incredible how much effort a guy will put into free software. I use Modtracker to make music and the sophistication of it astonishes me.

Tracking is the poor man's MIDI. It allows no-hopers like me to have fun with music. Nearly all the tools used in tracking are freeware, created by fellow enthusiasts.

Trackers often use futuristic nyms -- they'll call themselves Syko or Mr Vybe. Being an impressionable sort, I decided, when I started exploring the tracker community, I needed a nym for my music. So I started being Dr Zen and now I can't stop.

In case you were wondering -- I do give too. Sometimes the guys I'm giving to don't realise it, but hey, that's their problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home