Saturday, November 22, 2003

Screen gems

Often when scanning the reviews of a movie, you feel they're not telling you what you need to know, such as "does anyone smoke inappropriately?" or "does anyone use profane language?", so that you can keep your granny from going or make sure you're not showing the vid if she's visiting (unless your granny did not actually become bereft of intelligence, wit and nous at the age of 70). Now I've found just the place. Check this review of In the cut. For me, it's enough to know that it's directed by Jane Campion and stars Meg Ryan in a less fluffy role than usual and I'm thinking "no fucking way", but if you need to avoid seeing people smoke, these people make sure you know what to expect.

My favourite part is "The serial killer obviously has a bad attitude", followed closely by "A moderate amount of ominous music plays in the film" (I am imagining a family coming out of the Odeon, Chickpea, and the mother saying "well, I don't mind the gratuitous violence and sex - in fact, that's what I pay for - but that fucking ominous music is going to give me nightmares).

But I'm not knocking these people. They're providing a service far more valuable than the fawning arsekiss that Jonathan Ross thinks passes as a review. I'm all for presenting positive images to kids... and keeping them away from ominous music.

And anyone who can describe Neo thus: "KEANU REEVES plays "the one" who's been chosen by the freedom fighters to battle and overthrow a world where machines use unaware humans as sources of energy. He fights various villains, briefly uses profanity and has sex with Trinity."

is something of a comic genius, even if they don't know it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home