Friday, June 26, 2009

Good riddance, freak

On the one hand, Michael Jackson was an abused child who became an abuser (I suppose we must say an alleged abuser, because sadly he escaped conviction for what he did, and died unrepentant), a victim as much as a villain. I do not say that a man should be blamed for what he grows into when we are so strongly moulded by experience.

On the other, he was a man with the resources to get first-class help and instead used his money and power to increase his access to children. Some say that abuse is a cycle: children who are abused grow up broken and in turn abuse others, who become broken and so it goes.

This is a great human tragedy. I'm a softhearted type and a sucker for "does no one think about the children" appeals to sentimentality. But I am also a realist and believe that the foundation of a happy, secure childhood is essential for fully developed human beings.

So good riddance to Michael Jackson and may your life stand as an indictment on a world that will forgive anything of those who caper for it amusingly.

****

While I am on the subject, vale Farrah Fawcett. I was one of many teen boys who had a Farrah Fawcett-Majors poster on my wall (I think you all know which one), and it's no exaggeration to say that my earliest masturbatory fantasies featured her exclusively.

The contrast between how these two stars brought sex into the lives of boys is quite striking. These days I'm more concerned about the commodification of women than I was then, but I don't overanalyse it. I simply rejoice in her beautiful smile and hair that many women, including Mrs Zen, would quite literally kill for. And the nips. We're going to miss the nips.

Vale Farrah Fawcett, forever summer in her red cossie.

1 Comments:

At 4:06 pm, Blogger our man in Canberra said...

Might be worthwhile tracking down a copy of this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079966/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home