Thursday, August 07, 2008

Hello desk

So I'm chained to the desk for a week or more. Which is really inconvenient because my sister S is visiting with her baby next week. But what can you do? My people in Singapore asked me to do some proofreading so I said yes, and next thing I know, the proofreading is the full project. Which instead of the maybe 30 hours I agreed to will take me 75 hours if I do it ultra fast. I can't say no. If I do, you can count on my never receiving more work from these people.

So I asked a couple of people to help and they both agreed, so that was cool, but it turned out to be more hassle getting them to help than it would be just to do it myself. I suppose I'm used to this sort of work and know what it takes, so it's not unreasonable for others to say that they need samples to figure out how hard it is, blah blah, but I needed someone just to say, okay, I'll do ten hours, no problem, and just do it. It's not rocket science. I have to go through the MS really quickly, correcting gross errors in English. I don't have time to complete a work of art; I just have to make sure everything's spelled correctly and the sentences make a bare sort of sense. To be fair, last time I needed someone to pick up a whole project, it was a pro editor and he was so whiny that I wouldn't even ask him this time.

So the 20 hours I hoped to farm out I now will be spending doing this shit when my sister is here. Sigh. I never thought I would ever want to know other editors...

1 Comments:

At 12:24 pm, Blogger Mcleod said...

my sister S is visiting with her baby next week.I know, the proofreading is the full project. Which instead of the maybe 30 hours I agreed to will take me 75 hours


What a Cunt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home