Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Spirit of Eden

Create upon my flesh
Create approach upon my breath
Bring me salvation if I fear
Take my freedom

Create upon my breath
Create reflection on my flesh
The wealth of love
Bear me a witness to the years
Take my freedom

Create upon my flesh
Create a home within my head
Take my freedom for giving me a sacred love


When the organ kicks in on Wealth, omfg. Oh. My. Fucking. Gahd. This is as good as music gets. It's so uplifting, so deep and real. It touches me in a part that most bands, most people, barely know exists. Is it too trivial, too small to say that it makes life worth living, that there can be things so beautiful.

I can't tell you what Eden is like. You have to hear it for yourself. You have to listen to it ten times, and if you do not like it, I will feel sorry for you, because you are missing something truly wonderful--an appreciation of something special.

Hollis and the rest of Talk Talk sat in the dark and let it flow. It sounds like that. It sounds like comfort, a healing hand on your shoulder, a gentle kiss on your forehead. It does not sound like answers; it sounds like a man who is saying to you, we suffer and we die, and we can still find meaning in our meaningless world.

It is not articulate. It is beautifully unconstructed. I knew I could not review it well, because the part of me that feels it most cannot talk. And that's the part of me I trust.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home