Monday, April 28, 2008

Amy Winehouse

Occasionally, I buy stuff that I think I ought to like more than I do (and sometimes stuff I think I should like less than I do). It's usually stuff I bought in a 3 for 20 bucks sale or whatever. I think, why not? And then I know why not when I listen to it six months later.

Amy Winehouse is a bit like that. It's not bad. If you like this kind of thing, it's very good. She's talented, without question, and her songs are excellently crafted.

But a bit dull. This kind of coffee-table music just doesn't engage you sufficiently to want to listen to it much but you can't hate it when you do.

But man, if she only moved in a slightly different universe. You can imagine that rich, beautiful voice backed by moody glitchy electropop of the Lali Puna variety, or even deeper ambient techno a la Bjork, and how good would she be.

I suppose acts like Winehouse choose this retro sound because it's easy to understand and easy to construct songs in. But it is so backward looking that you could happily not bother with it and go back to the source. The world didn't really need any more swing, tbh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home