Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Oblivion with bells

Like many of, erm, a certain age, I have fond memories of Underworld. They made dance music it was all right for indie kids to like, and even now that I like dance music that would make indie kids cry, I still have a warm feeling when I hear Born slippy or Cowgirl. To tell the truth, this end of techno is not "dance" music at all. Sure, you could dance to it, but it's quite tangential to the dance scene. In its way, it was quite experimental--crossover often does involve treading new ground, much tougher ground sometimes than you'd traverse if you stuck to a genre. I look at experimental bands such as Autechre, and I think, it must be easier for them to make an Autechre album than it ever would be to make something that had broader appeal. (Perhaps unfair, because Autechre made a couple of fairly standard, although still leftfield, techno albums early in their career.)

But Underworld were not completely out of touch with the dance world, thanks to having among their ranks Darren Emerson, an excellent DJ with his finger very much on the pulse. I don't think I'm alone in thinking he kept them "honest", stopping them from drifting too far into rockery or musoland. When he left, that drift seemed to happen, and previous album NineMonthsOff was weak, with only a couple of tracks really hitting the mark.

So is Oblivion a return to the heights of Dubnobass... or Second toughest... or is it another NineMonthsOff? Sadly, it's the latter. It starts promisingly, with Crocodile, which is strongly reminiscent of Jumbo, which kicked arse. It doesn't kick arse, as such, but it is at least decent. But it's all downhill from there. I spent the whole album thinking to myself, why is this not banging? The band seems to have ideas still, and several of the tracks have the makings of good work, but too many are just halfbaked, or ruined by vocals that sound far too little like the excellent, seedy mutterings of Dubnobass... and far too much like your pissed uncle.

I wanted to love this. I remember actually being excited by the prospect of a new Underworld release--they really were that kind of band--and I would love to be telling you that this is their greatest work. It's not though. If I had to put my finger on where it goes amiss, I'd say that it lacks the palpable sense of danger that enlivened Dubnobass... (which sounds like it would come into your room in the middle of the night, chloroform you and take you up the butt), the cool tunes of Second toughest... and the dancefloor awareness of Beaucoup fish.

So, with the exception of a couple of truly horrible tracks (the MOR "ambient" thing for instance), it's not truly terrible. It's just not anything you'd want in your collection, or would ever actually buy. Which is a pity, but they're not the first band to go an album too far, and they won't be the last.

8 Comments:

At 10:48 pm, Blogger Cheezy said...

Interesting review... I'm still keen to hear it though! Although - and this might be telling - I saw them in Glasgow on the weekend and it was a great show, but even in my diminished state I realised that I recognised about 90% of what they were playing... so I guess they figure that, when playing live, the old stuff's still the gold stuff.

 
At 5:34 pm, Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

Underworld were one of my favourites from a few years back, and I still play them evey now and then when I need to drive Little Petal from the room so I can have some space to myself.

I'd probably want to hear the new album just to see what they've changed into, knowing that I'm going to not like it as much as the old stuff. That's the way the mind works. If only we didn't have memories, life would be so much more pleasant.

 
At 8:10 am, Blogger Dr Zen said...

True, life would be more pleasant if we were like dogs, living in the eternal present. And could lick our balls.

 
At 5:54 pm, Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

"And could lick our balls."

Isn't that what women are for?

 
At 5:57 pm, Blogger Dr Zen said...

Dude, if you think women are for licking dogs' balls, you have issues.

 
At 6:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The discussion about how our lives would be if we lived only in the present reminded me of an excellent National Geographic article (http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/2007-11/memory/foer-text.html) that talks about someone whose brain, because of a herpes simplex infection, had lost the ability to form memories. It's truly impossible for me to imagine what that would be like, but here it is.

 
At 8:29 pm, Blogger Dr Zen said...

It is truly impossible to go there. It reminds me of the Nagel essay, What is it like to be a bat? If you've never read it, the answer is, it's not like anything.

Thanks for the link. Truly fascinating read.

 
At 4:58 am, Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

Dr Zen said "Dude, if you think women are for licking dogs' balls, you have issues."

Actually, no, I was thinking that women are for licking *our* balls, (since that is how the phrasing ran in your post.

Interesting that you should think of a slightly different image.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home