Thursday, June 21, 2007

Vote arsewipe (2)

Well, it's a new platform at least. "Vote for me, I'm rich." (Only kidding. At least half the candidates for president on both sides have nothing to recommend them bar enormous wealth or access to it, and that's not much of a recommendation.)

The notion that Bloomberg is in the "centre" made me chuckle. I mean, yes, if you are taking Tom Tancredo and Hllary Clinton as your right and left, but no sane analysis would have him as anything other than another fairly far rightist neocon (he fits the description particularly well because he was once a Democrat, although whether that qualifies one as a liberal is another matter). One doubts that Bloomberg will serve the interests of the people over those of business. I'd expect him to stand on a small-government, big-leader platform. Given that Americans are fucking idiots and cannot be trusted to make big decisions, I'd expect him to get about 25% of the popular vote -- a bit more than Perot -- and create the conditions that would allow the Republicans to steal the election again. If it wasn't for Bloomberg's colossal ego, I'd suspect that was the point.

5 Comments:

At 2:17 am, Blogger Don said...

If it wasn't for Bloomberg's colossal ego, I'd suspect that was the point.

It may very well be anyway. The public is very easy to sway. The real work of President selection is largely over by the time of elections. The powerful manipulate an R and a D into place (e.g. Kerry was selected in order to maximize the odds for Bush's re-election), and now and then toss in an Independent to push the odds. Perot, of course, got Clinton elected, so this system is not a Republican conspiracy. It runs much deeper. On the other hand, I make this shit up and am probably turning into a loon.

 
At 3:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you know about popular vote, you British don't even vote for the PM directly, and you still have a fucking monarch, for fuck's sake!

:)

Jokes aside, though, is there any candidate with any chances who isn't filthy rich? Hilary's certainly getting up there, and if she actually gets elected, that'll make 24 years (at least) of White House rule under no more than 2 last names. A little more of that, and we won't be able to give you British shit about having a monarch anymore.

 
At 3:54 pm, Blogger Dr Zen said...

Well, I'm in the half of the British who don't vote at all. I don't see the point. It's like someone telling you you can be punched in the teeth or kicked in the balls. I say, well if I'm getting beaten up, that's too bad, but I'm not choosing the method.

Dude, just wait till Jeb wins in 2012...

 
At 5:13 am, Blogger O' Tim said...

I just vote so I can be selected for jury duty. Fascinating fun, that.

 
At 6:45 am, Blogger Paula said...

LOL @ O'Tim. It does piss me off that we have to choose among these six richies, but I guess I'm not ready to abandon voting altogether.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home