Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Crime and punishment

Whatever smallminded morality thinks it should be illegal for sufferers of MS to eat cannabis chocolate, I've never voted for it, don't support it and want it chased out of town by our mocking laughter.

Why do we put up with this shit? It cannot be how the majority thinks. The majority might be idiots but they're mostly harmless idiots.

When some clown who has had an easy passage through life: public school, good uni, job as a barrister, well-paid position as an MP, government minister gives it all that about the evil of drugs, I will think of Lezley, criminalised because she wanted to be well:

The prosecutor told me what I did was wrong but the law is wrong. It's evil and cruel and totally unfair. As a person who is ill, why am I in court? It can't be a crime to want to be well. If it was paint stripper, I'd take it. It's just unfortunate it's illegal. I'm sorry that cannabis makes me well and I'm sorry I'm going to keep taking it, because I don't want to be in a wheelchair and I don't want to be incontinent.

3 Comments:

At 9:24 am, Blogger Sour Grapes said...

It's outrageous to make criminals out of such people because a policy seems to need to have no loopholes. Why? Do they think stoners will go out and catch MS to beat the system? I wonder if an approach to the ECHR might not break the logjam of idiocy. Medical marijuana is available in other EU countries, and the law in Britain could be a restraint on trade.

On the larger issue, it sickens me that a party that received a minority of the vote can then consider itself to have a mandate to do whatever it wants, regardless of its manifesto. I think it's time to look at the introduction of something like US ballot initiatives, to be voted on at the same time as other elections, or more Swiss-style referendums. It should certainly be the case that any issue that was not a part of the manifesto may NOT be legislated on unless there is pressing need, and such laws would have a sunset clause. A way needs to be found to stop the bastards doing things nobody asked them to do. They're not in power because we trust them to look after us, but only because everyone else was ever so slightly more ghastly.

 
At 9:34 am, Blogger Dr Zen said...

I'd definitely favour ballot initiatives.

I'd like to see parties put forward programmes that we could tick the box, regardless which party we voted for. That way a government can be tied to the other side's policies, which I think is fine because they are elected to administer the nation, not rule it. But it'll never happen. Elections are a con. They are not a way for us to be represented, or have a say. They are a way for power to be denied to the people.

 
At 1:57 am, Blogger Don said...

By ballot initiative, we legalized medical marijuana in California. The Federal government keeps interfering, but there is some leeway. Friend of mine has a prescription and is allowed to grow her own. Agitators for a broader legalization however find themselves jailed if they possess one ounce more than strictly allowed. Personally, I'm not aware of knowing anyone who thinks marijuana should be kept from people who can benefit medically, yet it remains a political hot potato. People are strange.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home