Friday, November 24, 2006

Flogging the nukes

I'm probably not alone in feeling that MPs should be regularly whipped, preferably with a cat o'nine tails, but sadly, in parliamentary terms, it simply means that Labour MPs will be forced to vote to keep Britain nuclear.

Which is a great message to send to Iran. We, the "democratic" people who insist that you, the autocratic bad boys, should increase freedom and not develop nuclear weapons, are not allowing our elected representatives freedom to decide the question of, erm, developing nuclear weapons.

2 Comments:

At 9:31 pm, Anonymous high-in-the-sky said...

But it is a consistent message, it follows on from the democratic process by which we decided to support the invasion of Iraq, try detention without trial, and will be moving smoothly towards the introduction of 'voluntary' ID cards.

The sad thing about democracy is that we all abrogate much of our share in the decision making process to whoever got the most votes in our small area, and then assume that they will do the right thing for the next four years.

If Australia wasn't so hot I might be joining you soon, but I think it'll be New Zealand for me.

 
At 11:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hear, hear - I'm so sick of the parties witch-hunting on each other to cast shadows on whoever's in power instead of working for the greatest good of all concenred. I dream about emigrating to New Zealand... we'll see. I need a graduate degree in my field so I can teach and that's next on the agenda.

Layla

 

Post a Comment

<< Home