Friday, September 02, 2005

Vale, Professor

I pay my respects to Joe Rotblat, a tireless campaigner for peace and nuclear disarmament. A man who had the guts to walk away from the Manhattan Project, which he had joined because of his great fear of a Nazi bomb (his wife disappeared in the war, and he believed she was a victim of the Nazis) and left because that rationale, which he later came to question, disappeared with the surrender of Germany.

I worked for Rotblat for a couple of years. I wouldn't describe him as a nice guy, although he could be charming and certainly inspiring for many in the antinuclear movement. He was though a good man, a figure of integrity and honour, and a fierce intellect, with an understanding of physics and an ability to explain it that was astonishing. The world could do with a lot more like him and I give thanks for his long, productive life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home