Thursday, January 27, 2005

Round and about

Single-issue blogs bore me. I generally don't want to read someone I wouldn't want to share a beer with, and I wouldn't want to share a beer with someone who intended to spend the whole time whining about abortion. Lady, get over it. You think that's harsh? You chose it. Life is unkind. It lumbered Miss SICLE with hyperemesis (as it did my friend J, who was extremely sick to the point of needing hospitalisation and a drip) but it did not make her choose to terminate her pregnancy. It had a term, Miss SICLE, and you could have borne it. I defy anyone to read her description of a classroom full of children with a straight face. I know that having a termination can cause emotional distress. I know several women who have had one and each was affected differently. Hysteria is new to me but the truth is, that's what it is, and sometimes I feel that hysterical Americans could do with a good hard slap, because nothing else and no one in their life seem able to bring them to get a grip on themselves.

On a lighter note, I enjoy How Not To Fly, particularly the Bush/Jesus discussion on SpongeBob. Read it and weep with laughter.

LaShawn wants a name for her business, which reminded me that:

a/ I don't have a name for my business
b/ I don't have any business for my business.

Hey, am I jealous? Fucking right I am. I wish I had this lady's drive. I'd like to write but I can't be bothered seeking opportunities.

In my wild dreams, I sit sipping coffee at Luigi's, looking out over a picturesque plaza in Siena, as I tap out yet another article that pays enough for me to relax for the rest of the week. *sigh* I know, it could happen. There are millions of wannabes, yes, but I am better, stronger, more fluent. I am tremendous but still no one wants to read me. I've never been able to get anyone outside my family, with the exception of S's friend who works for the Guardian, to read my novel. Yes, I haven't tried very hard but jeezus fuck, can a person not have a break?

Anyway, my advice to LaShawn would be to take the Ghanaian approach. Many businesses in Accra are named in what you might call a spiritual fashion: "The God is Good Wreck Repair Shop", "Redemption Tailoring". I suggest "Jesus is My Saviour Penmanship".

Ten dollars from my first writing paycheque to anyone who comes up with a good name for my business. "Oddzen ends" will not win. Neither will "EditWhore". That's too close to the bone.

This guy blogwhored me by email. He's not the first, incredibly enough, and I hope he won't be the last. I genuinely like receiving emails, even if I don't answer them for months or even years. I'm thinking of adding him to my blogroll but I already have a Rasmussen. Is there room for two? Let's put it this way. He whored but he didn't link. That means he either didn't check me out or didn't like my blog. Now, if you're thinking I'd sulk if someone didn't like my blog enough to link it, you're damned right.

These links and much, much more are available to subscribers, imbibers and anyone who plain happens along to the Raving Atheist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home