Thursday, January 27, 2005

Ban the bum

The news that Fox had pixelated a cartoon character's bare butt led me to the Parents Television Council. These sterling citizens make it their business to whine about what's on TV.

So what? We all whine about what's on TV.

But hang on! These clowns are whining because the girls in Charmed wear tight tops and cops in adult shows say "fuck", "piss" and "bitch".

The obvious answer seems to have escaped them. Turn it off. Don't watch Charmed. Don't let your kids watch it.

Even better, get rid of your TV. Read books instead. Read the Bible instead.

The problem with the PTC crew and all like them will always be that their business is not to control what their kids watch but to control what you and I watch. I have no problem with complaints that children's programmes contain bad language or sexual references. I agree that they shouldn't. The sexualisation of minors is something that I think we could happily do without. A ban on Jo Jo is something I could very much get behind.

But these people are whining that CSI has violence. Well yes, it's a gruesome and unpleasant show for voyeurs. A personal favourite of mine, as it happens (I don't demand realistic plots, dialogue or 3D characters from all my TV, you know; that would make it too much hard work). But you know it's not for kids. Just don't let them watch it. They watch it at their friends' houses? Who are you kidding? Kids with parents as freaky as you don't have friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home