Monday, January 31, 2005

Krafty kut

Love me, love New Order. That's the long and short of it. They've seen me through thick and thin and I owe them.

It seems almost adolescent to have a "favourite band" but I do. They are almost the only band who I get excited about, certainly the only ones who I feel compelled to dl an MP3 (or an ASX) of their new single. Anyone else I can wait.

But New Order are different. I couldn't say why. Yes, they are more inventive than most. Yes, they write stretches of music that touch the sublime. But so do a lot of bands.

Here is the point where theories of aesthetics fall down. How do we explain what touches us when we are without criteria? I can recognise the qualities of New Order and compare them objectively with other sources of art but how can I know what it is that makes them what they are?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home