Friday, January 23, 2004

Tooting my horn

The London Underground is not a thing of beauty, but its map certainly is: a masterpiece of design, which bears very little relation to the hell that is 8.30 on the Northern Line. It's the basis for the cute conceit of London Bloggers, to show its members on a map, each having placed themselves by a tube station. Well, I live about five minutes from Tooting Bec station, three if it's raining.

I'm going to miss Tooting. It isn't pretty, although the church in Beechcroft Rd, whose name I don't know, is interesting because it looks so out of place--it looks a lot like the colonial churches you see in India or even Australia. It isn't particularly friendly, although it's not threatening either. It's busy though, Upper Tooting Rd crawling with traffic most hours of the day, the pavements thronged, the masses of curry houses, sari emporia, sweet shops and poundarounds packed each day.

This street is the England I love. I couldn't explain it, but if I could take you there, you'd see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home