Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Tomorrow Dies of Shame

[spoilers follow]
So I'm not a stickler for realism in an action film by any means but there's a point in a gunfight where you just can't care for characters who fire machine guns round corners or literally change hands while still firing their tommy gun.
Not that I cared much anyway. I think this is the biggest failing of Brosnan's Bond. I just don't like him at all. And not in that he's a psycho way you don't like Craig but in a "your'e not moving me at all" way. Tomorrow Never Dies is much better than the other two Brosnan Bonds I watched but I still haven't warmed to him.
My stream was a bit choppy so my interest wavered more than usual but I have absolutely no idea what was going on. Something about the media and something about China. The first was represented by Jonathan Pryce, who completely ignored the idea that he was supposed to act and went full pantomime dame; the second by indiscriminate Chinamen, whom Michelle Yeoh kicked into tomorrow.
I don't actually know what Yeoh was doing in the film bar looking cool in every scene, and I have even less idea what Teri Hatcher was doing. Luckily, neither seemed to make much impact on the movie, except for some sweet kung fu.
The action was all in all pretty good. The cold open is preposterous but fun and the motorbike chase with handcuffed Yeoh was exceptional. This is pretty much peak action Bond so I suppose plot and character take a back seat. And they do. Still, the stunts are decent even if not even close to credible.
We're going to call this a C. You'd maybe rate it higher if you just thought of this as a straight action film, but in that case, there wasn't enough kung fu. Its the golden rule, of course: once you go kung, you must supplly fu.
edit: Oh, oh, almost forgot, that theme song! I'm not an expert on music or anything but Sheryl Crow doesn't sound close to the notes she's aiming at. Have a listen and see what you think. If you can bear it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home