Friday, December 06, 2013

Vale Nelson

Something of a repost, but it captured how I feel.

I'm too much the individualist to have heroes as such, but I do greatly admire Nelson Mandela. Most ordinary men, locked away for a third of man's natural span, would find their minds turning to vengeance, but Mandela, equipped with the tools to have his revenge, had a deep well of compassion to draw on, and not only showed forgiveness but taught his nation a lesson in forbearance that may yet be its salvation. I still remember vividly the day Mandela was released from prison: he strode through the gates, head unbowed, a beacon of courage and honour in a dirty word. He doesn't need a memorial. His life itself is its own memorial. But I am thankful for his life. Amandla!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home