Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Some bits

UN drug policy a failure. Well, what do you expect, when you have the hubris to make your target a "drugs-free world"? Erm, what?

Let's be clear about something also. People's lives are very rarely "destroyed" by drugs. Mostly, they are taking drugs because their lives are already destroyed. You don't fix that by trying to stop drugs from existing. You stop it by trying to stop lives from being destroyed.

****

LOL. Detox is just the new aromatherapy. If people were well educated, we could just consider it harmless bollocks. But it's a bit more harmful than not at all because of the risk that people replace real medicine with it. Statins just might save your life; dandelions will not.

****

Guns don't kill people but they sure do make it easy. I wonder whether there are more of these killings in a recession. Does a general sense of gloom increase the individual's sense of hopelessness? We all worry that if we have a job, we'll lose it, and if we don't, we won't get one, don't we? So that even if we haven't been affected particularly badly by the recession, we're aware that we could be.

****

I never tire of looking at pictures of the universe. How tiny we are. How small our existence.

6 Comments:

At 8:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"People's lives are very rarely 'destroyed' by drugs. Mostly, they are taking drugs because their lives are already destroyed. You don't fix that by trying to stop drugs from existing. You stop it by trying to stop lives from being destroyed."

On occasion we are in complete agreement and this is one of those occasions. Now to take it slightly further, how can people prevent their own lives from being destroyed? That's a subject of particular interest to me.

"I wonder whether there are more of these killings in a recession. Does a general sense of gloom increase the individual's sense of hopelessness?"

I'm sure that in general it does, which is part of the reason people turn to drugs.

"We all worry that if we have a job, we'll lose it, and if we don't, we won't get one, don't we?"

Well there I don't know. We don't "all" do things the same way. I have not had a job since early in 2000 and if the IRS ever comes around asking how I've managed to live since then, I'll be flummoxed trying to answer them.

I used to be concerned about having a job, but now I have far too much work to do to have time to fiddle with one. It isn't really the job one needs, it's the stuff one perceives to derive from having one.

 
At 8:50 pm, Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

"Mostly, they are taking drugs because their lives are already destroyed"

True. "Give them something for the pain", I say. And ideally, clean needles as well.

There needs to be some sense of a point and a purpose in a life to make it worthwhile. I suspect a lot of the people down in the chemical pits are there because they wouldn't accept the cheap meaningless life being put in front of them, but were too busy trying to stay alive to look for something better.

 
At 9:23 pm, Blogger Dr Zen said...

boots, I think sopwith has a fair chunk of the answer. Providing meaning would be part of the solution.

Maybe I will blog my solution to the destruction of our lives and you can comment on that. In very simple terms, I believe that we need to be free to be, and feel, worthwhile, and we have a world that is predicated on making us feel worthless unless we pursue certain things. We (I mean the general we) are not educated sufficiently, or in the right areas at least, to be able to figure out that pursuing those avenues does not benefit us as much as we are promised, but benefit some few others much more.

I've always been minded that education is the route out of chains for the poor. That's a simplified way of saying that gaining a share of information is the way.

 
At 10:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Z wrote,

"Maybe I will blog my solution to the destruction of our lives..."

I would like to read that. As you (may? should?) know I've been blogging exclusively on that topic for good grief, months now, without yet having gotten to the point.

"In very simple terms, I believe that we need to be free to be, and feel, worthwhile, and we have a world that is predicated on making us feel worthless unless we pursue certain things."

Yes, well, I more or less agree, which is why I simply waggle my arse at the way things Must Be and do what pleases me.

 
At 3:51 am, Blogger Father Luke said...

I never tire of looking at pictures of the universe. How tiny we are. How small our existence.

quardian.co.uk
sorry. . .
We haven't been able to serve the
page you asked for.

(sigh)

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

 
At 8:28 am, Blogger Dr Zen said...

Well, that's weird. Can't find them anywhere on the site. Excellent pictures though ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home