Thursday, February 19, 2009

Inert

sssh don't say a thing
you have to trust
that when I take you by the hand
I'll lead you somewhere good

you have to trust
because I've never proved a thing

I opened up my arms
and let you in
so don't go


when something is good
but it goes unrewarded
do you feel sad that it does not have what it merits
or glad that you know?

because we separate
like ripples on a blank shore

I realise I
do not know a thing
because I ain't got that swing
I realise I
do not know how to
make anything

I cannot lift my hands to pray
tied down with a million tons of lead
I cannot lift my voice to say
that if we do not speak
we're dead

inert
and fooled by
lights that were hung to distract us
from all the ones who loved us
from all the ones we were

inert
and dead inside
wrapped ourselves in sorrow
when first we lied

sssh don't say a thing
you have to trust
that when I take you by the hand
I'll lead you nowhere at all

I have never been
anywhere at all

DR

3 Comments:

At 9:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

boots sez:

"you have to trust
because I've never proved a thing"


What is trust other than a desire strong enough that we risk disappointment in the hope it is true?

"I have never been
anywhere at all"


You may go now, just give yourself permission. And if you cannot permit yourself to live, at least deny yourself the privilege of dying.

[Is that smartarsery? I have a quota to fulfill you know, responsible lad that I are.]

 
At 12:16 am, Blogger G.R.I.T said...

What is trust other than a desire strong enough that we risk disappointment in the hope it is true?

Trust is innocence. The kind of trust you speak of, b, is the kind someone no longer innocent might offer.

Only when it's been broken do you understand there's even the slightest risk involved. But is it still trust? I don't think that can be called trust - just hope. Hope is a secondary trust structure, if you like.

Everyone gets trust, automatically (when you're innocent) and it's up to the person you've placed that trust in to either steal the innocence or reward it.

Most of us have been the thief at times but who among us has been rewarded?

 
At 12:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P wrote,

"Most of us have been the thief at times but who among us has been rewarded?"

Beats me, I haven't been "innocent" ever within memory. Not necessarily guilty, but not "innocent".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home