Thursday, January 08, 2009

Equate this

Now how the shitting fuck do I change this equation so I can solve for E?

EV = (1-C)(S+1) + C(E(2S)) – (S-0.5)

It's the equation for EV in a push/fold game in poker.
C is how much villain calls.
S is my starting stack in units.
E is the equity I have vs villain's range (the top C% of hands).

(So the second side is "the amount he folds times the stack I will have if he folds" plus "the amount he calls times the equity I have vs his range when he calls times by twice my stack" minus "the stack I would have if I just folded".)

Should be easy to do but I cannot for the life of me work out how to do it. Basically, I want to set EV to zero and work out what E needs to be for different values of S and C.

(So I want to know, to make EV = 0 (breakeven), what value of E do I need given C and S.)

Got it!

((S-0.5)-((1-C)(S+1)))/C/2S

Woot!

2 Comments:

At 9:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

boots sez:

To solve for E divide both sides of that equation by V. That will give the equation for E. Fuck knows what you do then.

 
At 3:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you thinking of a new career as a quant?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home