Sunday, September 07, 2008

Fakes

Hilarious. My friends at the Wikipedia Review have taken a break from trying to out Wikipedia editors to out each other.

I've known this person had a sock farm for three years. It was pretty obvious. I had an email correspondence with him back then, and it was plain that "she" was a he (very hard to hide it in your writing as various websites around the web will demonstrate to you) and equally plain that he was deranged. Wikipedia Review is a bit of a haven for the deranged though. I'm left wondering whether they really couldn't have known that the posters concerned were the same person, when it was plain as the nose on your face that they were. Perhaps I'm just better at the Shell Game than they are?

Of course, they weren't interested in hearing about it back then, or until they had pretty undeniable evidence thrusted into their face, because they are a typical internet website. On the 'Net, and I suppose this is true IRL too, sites quickly ossify into groups of cliques that fight each other and fight outsiders. Wikipedia itself is precisely like that. You wouldn't believe, if you knew nothing about it, that people writing an encyclopaedia could find a way to create war, but WP is as much a social networking site or roleplaying game even as it is a project to make a book.

Everywhere I go on the 'Net, it's the same story. The liberal blogosphere is a vast echo chamber, in which the same dull, centrist voices cite each other's dull, ill-considered views, and dissent is usually squashed with the t-word. (The actual trolls are just as tedious as the bloggers, sadly; none has any subtlety or ability.) The Uselessnet has died on its arse. I used to frequent four groups: alt.writing has died completely; misc.writing has become ossified into gangs, which endlessly fuck each other, all comfortable in their slippers, all happy with their positions, the dynamic thrown down the drain--and outraging them has become so much less fun because there is no one left who can give it back with any vigour; alt.fiction.original always was a cosy Care Bear club, which defeats its purpose (to improve one another's writing) by abhorring any attempt to improve one another's writing; alt.fan.scarecrow has only a few members, now so cosy with each other that all they have left is gangfucking outsiders. This is the fate of any forum. Whatever spark they had dies, and they are left with their past glories: when we used to be fun, when we used to be good trolls, when we used to have something to offer.

People can go the same way, of course. They stop bothering; stop caring; stop wanting to enliven each other.

I can't be bothered with it. I'm sufficiently enervated already, without needing to be grouphugging people who just aren't all that loveable to begin with, but are familiar enough that you ignore the smell. I suppose I do understand the attraction, but I've always thought it's better to be loved for what you have to offer, and not just because you've been around for a long time.

But I don't want to slide together in comfort into oblivion. I want us to raise each other up, to be a challenge for each other, as well as a safe harbour whe the seas are rough (I don't deny the value of having friends, obv., particularly when life hurts, as it's wont to do). (That doesn't mean simply typing "you are a cunt" in my comments, Grant, which I take to be your stunted way of trying to do what I suggest, rather than a pathetic, years-long need to troll me because you are that sad: see? I have a heart generous enough at least to think you're not entirely the pathetic fuckwit you seem to be.)

If I was to indulge in an analogy, I think I'd go for this: we are at Klosters and we do not know how to ski. No one does. Some pretend but no one really does. Well, we could sit in our hut, with a nice fire going, and chat over a brandy while ignoring the storm outside, or we could strap ourselves into skis, get a good grip on each other, and throw ourselves onto the slope.

Or something like that. Anyway, you get the picture. I'll never do well at being in the gang because cosy fireside chats will never do as much for me as, well, burning the chalet down, frankly.

14 Comments:

At 4:27 pm, Blogger Don said...

Burn, baby. All online life is shit. I have my blog addiction but I despise myself for it. Burn. I went to Burning Man. It's obvious that the 90s were the golden age, and now it's just a party. But a fucking good one and I'll be going again. My only regret is I turned my computer on when I got home and am back to the same shit as before. But I did quit misc.writing, anyway, years back, and if I ever pop in I'm merely disappointed at the familiar names who still do it. Here's my thought: Fuck the wikis and write again. You once said you're not creative or some shit. Balls. Take something of the Padre's and do with it as Tschaikovsky did with folk songs, but with all due credit etc. of course. Well, that's big talk from me. I'm consumed with just keeping my shitty corporate job one more year. Forget retirement: no one I know has any realistic hope of that. My plan is to learn to enjoy poverty with my old age, and find more shit to burn and some interesting fuckheads to burn it with.

 
At 4:31 pm, Blogger Dr Zen said...

Well yeah.

 
At 8:36 pm, Blogger P. said...

[subscribe]alt.fan.burning-chalets[/subscribe]

S'just mindless, occasionally funny, usually boring and always meaningless twittering.

It passes a few hours of your life that you could have spent writing but you weren't. You could have been skiing but you weren't. You could have been crying but you weren't.

It's not all bad.

 
At 3:50 am, Blogger $Zero said...

because there is no one left who can give it back with any vigour

bwah!

you wish.

 
At 9:23 am, Blogger Dr Zen said...

I tell it how it is, bro. No more, no less.

 
At 10:23 am, Blogger $Zero said...

LOL!

squirrel. peach. Orions.

'nuff said.

 
At 10:25 am, Blogger Dr Zen said...

Your answer to my clear demonstration that property is theft was to suggest that squirrels are not stealing peaches from imaginary aliens and you think you're a challenge?

Also, when I refuted it, you ran away from the subject, if I remember.

 
At 10:28 am, Blogger $Zero said...

ran anway?

hah!

i'm far too busy right now manufacturing peachy products to argue about same on mw, FFS.

speaking of which, i have some paying editing work if you're interested in some extra income.

 
At 10:33 am, Blogger Dr Zen said...

Always interested in paying work, bro.

 
At 8:49 pm, Blogger Mcleod said...

Blogger $Zero said...

speaking of which, i have some paying editing work if you're interested in some extra income.

Dave does he pay you in arse kissing and cock sucking?

 
At 11:19 am, Blogger Mcleod said...

I dont want an RSS feed from you Blog you miserable cunt.

 
At 12:17 pm, Blogger iamonevotedotcom said...

FYI: $Zero pays in cash money. And he doesn't bend his knees to anyone.

 
At 12:19 am, Blogger P. said...

And he doesn't bend his knees to anyone.

I bet you're a hoot on fairground rides.

 
At 12:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

iamonevotedotcom said...

FYI: $Zero pays in cash money. And he doesn't bend his knees to anyone.

What are you saying? The Zero Cunts a Dwarf?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home