Thursday, October 25, 2007

OMFNaomi

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Naomi Klein, but I can't help thinking of her as "the OMIFUCKINGGOD writer".

Her stuff is just so breathless. She takes a narrative tack, which reads like a journey, a walk you are taking with her, which is frequently punctuated by her yelling "OMIFUCKINGGOD did you see that?"

"Lockheed... you know... guns and bombs and shit... and they're investing in... get this... healthcare. OMIFUCKINGGOD, can you imagine? It's like the most moooorbid vertical integration."

I mean, I can get with the programme; I feel it like she feels it; but by fuck, by the end of one of her pieces I feel too exhausted to care about whatever she's seen and is sharing.

3 Comments:

At 2:35 am, Blogger skaterina said...

i just popped over from alicublog bc your comment re Ann Althouse made me laugh

"never late but often tardie"

maybe i am just an old lady from yesteryear but i dont get the fascination with this woman / or maybe it is fascination / i only read her when she is mentioned here

katherine

 
At 8:07 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I know what you mean, but she is just so right. Business journos are as bad as sports reporters for the extent to which they are up the arses of the people they're supposed to be covering. They're bought and sold. The idea they might be objective about the corporocracy, never mind critical, is just so laughable.

I want to read her Shock Doctrine, but I don't want to put money in a company's fist to do so. What's a man to do?

 
At 8:55 am, Blogger Dr Zen said...

katherine, I think it's just the spectacle of a woman who claims to be a liberal but is so clearly a dyed-in-the-wool rightist. Also that she's a law professor and soooo dumb.

Grapes, it'll doubtless make its way to P2P given time. It's a good point though. Klein is a consummate selfmarketer, and could probably teach corporations a thing or two.

And yeah, the business press... it's not so much that the corporate influence (although it's there, of course, not least because like all rags, business papers have advertisers), but that they really are disciples. They have mostly been educated in business or allied disciplines, and I can tell you from having edited the textbooks, they don't even begin to question free-market orthodoxy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home