Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Roll 'em

If I didn't do what I thought was right, and used other means to decide what to do, what would they be?

I could throw dice. That isn't really what I was thinking of but I'd probably get better outcomes if I did. The question would still remain what outcomes to allow the dice to choose from. (Not to mention that I don't have the macrochoices that dice would be good for; only many microchoices.)

Maybe I should do what others think is right. Or at least what they want.

There are only three problems with that approach. The first, and hardest to overcome, is that others do not know or will not say what they want. Or, worse, they will not say what they want until after you have made a choice and, as things turned out, it was what they didn't want. The second is that they often want what I don't want, or want conflicting things (so that Mrs Z wants one thing but a friend wants another; how do I choose if they are entirely opposite?). The third is that I am a contrarian and cannot help it.

It's something I would change if I could. I do like people after all. Or try to. But people's wants often seem so challengeable. The problem with changing is tied in with the first two reasons. Because I am talking about getting into the habit of doing what others want, and not just occasionally giving them their own way (which I do, of course), I would have to do what they want and I don't. That's the point. And picking and choosing would run counter to that point, surely? And who would I allow to choose? Everyone? Whoever has the wherewithal to state clearly what they think?

Maybe I should stick with the dice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home