Thursday, August 10, 2006

Free to not get it

"Sometimes we may have to modify some of our own freedoms in the short term in order to prevent their misuse and abuse by those who oppose our fundamental values and would destroy all of our freedoms in the modern world," says John Reid.

No, I get it. To have my freedoms protected, I need to give up my freedoms. It's one of the problems with freedoms that people just will abuse them. So what do you do?

Reid's answer is to take away the freedoms. Anyone who thinks that's a bad thing, including judges who seek to protect us from his depradations, "doesn't get it".

I get it. It's a bad old world. It always has been. There always has been and probably always will be people trying to kill one another. C'est la fucking vie innit.

And there will probably always be demagogues who insist that there is a shadowy Other that we must be protected from by being oppressed. The strange thing is that most of us, I reckon, are more worried about our own governments' harming us than the small chance that we'll be on the next train bombed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home