Saturday, November 12, 2005

Torturous choices

Torture's nothing new to us. The striking thing is we kept doing it after the war had finished. So tell me. Were we really the white knights in World War Two? Was the wholescale murder of civilians what the good do? Was it the only way?

When we are telling ourselves we deplore the torturers, we must remind ourselves of the times torture has been done in our name. When we deplore murderers, think about our murders. When we decry the gassing, the burning, the rape and the slaughter...

If I must die, then I must die. But I will never kill. And no one can ever claim to be killing for me. I deny them that right. Justify the start and you don't know what ends you are justifying. I say do not begin in my name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home