Monday, November 07, 2005

As if!

And I notice that Porritt has called his book Capitalism: As if the world matters.

Which is revealing.

Because as if/as though is one of those useful distinctions that are disappearing but are worth preserving.

I use "as though" for states of affairs that could be but aren't (or that one doesn't know are or aren't). This is most often useful for comparisons of actions: "he smiled as though he was happy"; "she looked at me as though I was mad". It could also mean "such that", "in the way that" (can't think of a succinct explanation of what I mean but the example should make it apparent): "Talk to me as though you like me". You'll note that I do not use the subjunctive with it.

I use "as if" for states of affairs that couldn't be. "As if you could fly...", "as if he were speaking Martian". I use the subjunctive for this.

Marginally useful, yes, but still, there's a distinction possible, so why use the two phrases to mean the same thing?

So Porritt's title, one feels, ought to have been "as though the world matters". But the truth of both capitalism, and Porritt's attitude, is splendidly conveyed by the "as if"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home