Friday, September 09, 2005

I doffs me cap

I was going to blog the failed reconstruction effort in Iraq but what's the point? We are drowning in I told you so's. Most of the money has been pilfered and two years later, the Americans have still not rebuilt what they destroyed. They should have let the UN do it, as we urged. The UN is incompetent, run by buffoons and full of shit, but even it could have managed to get the water back on in Baghdad.

Instead, I wanted to tip me hat to Shane Warne. Now he's a fat knacker and a poor excuse for a husband, but I have a policy of not allowing the person to impinge on the performer and he is a prodigiously talented performer.

On a pitch with no turn, a belter, begging for runs from even half-competent batsmen, he bamboozled England's batsmen, making monkeys out of good players.

I remember the first ball he bowled in a Test in England -- what cricket fan doesn't! The look on Gatting's face was priceless. He not only could not believe he had been bowled, but could not understand it. Neither could I, but I enjoyed it. The sheer joy of watching someone who excels at his art transcends narrow nationalism and thrills us. And he kept doing it. That summer he tortured our hapless batsmen, reducing confident players, who had thought themselves a good chance of winning the Ashes, to nothing.

And yesterday, on a day when even McGrath could find little to celebrate in the pitch, and Tait and Lee were being carted to the fence like village team piethrowers, he murdered us.

If we fail to win this match, and the Aussies keep the Ashes, Shane Warne will have beaten us. And if you love cricket, you'll join me in saying that it's a pity that men must age, and that he won't be back to make monkeys of us once again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home