Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Mercurial

I realise to my shock that I have seven of the records nominated for the Mercury Prize. Usually, I'd do well to have a couple. Or any at all, actually. There are some great albums though, and you can't usually say that. (Not all the seven I own are great. Not all of them are good.)

I would have thought the Magic Numbers will win: beardy sunshine rock with close harmonies are just the sort of thing that judging panels like. I like it too and so will anyone who grieves for the Mamas and Papas. I'm not kidding. They're even fat. That's taking a tribute too far in my books.

To win the Mercury, you have to be a Brit (Antony, although a denizen of New York, was born in Blighty). You don't have to be any good, as previous winners have proved. Periodically, music awards aim for credibility by nominating fashionable stuff rather than the obvious. (Who can forget the years the Brits gave the Best Female award to Annie Lennox, despite her not having released any records!) The only big name is Coldplay, whose new album is not very good.

Who would I like to see win? I couldn't care less. An award doesn't make your album any better and all the bands whose albums I have are hyped enough not to disappear without it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home