Thursday, September 25, 2003

Play the joker

To my delight, the google ad at the top of my blog showed the following "related searches": - postmodernism - postmodernism - thomas aquinas - epicurus - stoicism - pluralism - philosophers - human nature - positivism - stuart hall

How apt I was thinking! And how did they work that out? Postmodernism, yes, I do a bit of that. Thomas Aquinas - proofs of God, like it. Epicurus, yummy. Stoicism, yes, practically an adherent. Pluralism, fond of it. Philosophers, yahoo. Human nature, abiding interest. Positivism, hmmm. Stuart fucking Hall! Lumme!
Now, if you're thinking dour Marxist commentator, turn away now. If you're thinking genius football commentator with a penchant for quoting Shakespeare, the legend who illuminated our childhoods as the cackling king of It's a knockout, you're understanding the disjunction.
Ah Stuart Hall! The whinnying laughter, the rotund northern accent, the love of spectacle. I can imagine Hall commentating on my life, his chinmike capturing his every chortle:
"Zen... Zen gets on the train, wwwwwwooooooohhh, into the breach once more, my son, a verray parfit knight he. Ah hahahahahahaha she... she.... bwahahahahahaha.... oh a sly elbow that... oh, he's seen a seat... yes, espied the siege perilous and..... ahahahahhahahaarrrgggggggghhhahahahhahahaha.... oh.... oh... ahahahhahahahah.... he didn't see her on the blindside... fat lady at one o'clock... ahhahahhahahahhaha"
How does this genius and scholar come to be a humble hack, largely confined to the surreal world of Manchester City? "I have wasted my life in every direction, really. I've made underachieving an achievement." Which one of us is not proud to say the same of themselves?
Ah, the antihubris. Get more at: the Guardian's excellent football site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home