Monday, January 15, 2007

Freedom of impression

Love to learn? I do. And the web is a great place for it. Of course, you mostly learn "facts" that are the opposite of facts, but I enjoy confusion and being confused. More straightforwardly, digg linked to this page, which is a bunch of links to free education resources, which look wonderful to me. Among them is Textbook Revolution, which provides free textbooks. I haven't checked out whether they are legit textbooks or, erm, idiosyncratic, but either way, anything that is free can't be all bad. (Kof. I say that but the other day I stumbled across the White Man's Bible. I don't have a link but you can find it on Bill White's site. If you don't know who Bill White is, you probably won't be interested in reading it. It's horrid but fascinating, because it takes the whole "racial purity" thing a step further, creating a notion of "healthiness" that couldn't be less healthy.) A free resource that I am familiar with, and love to read, is Spartacus. The more "historical" sections are very clear essays on different elements of history. They tend to the objective. The more recent history is fascinating. It's very unpopular in America, for the obvious reason that any objective reading of American history doesn't reflect well on Americans, although it makes for fascinating reading.

1 Comments:

At 12:04 pm, Blogger AJ said...

You may already know about this, but just in case, MIT puts material from its courses online, which includes videoed lectures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home