Friday, July 07, 2006

Another tower of babble

I've ever been quite fond of Jimbo Wales. Some think he is a monster, an operator, who is using the efforts of hundreds of thousands to make dollars. Well, he probably is all that, but he's always struck me as more of a bumbler than a sharpie.

His latest wheeze is a political wiki. What a great idea! It's worked fantastically for knowledge, creating a sprawling, chaotic, fundamentally useless ragbag of bollocks, which has served as the web's number one arsehole flypaper. Now we can get thousands of schoolboys to spew their half-baked, illiterate political philosophy all over the web.

What tickles me is that Jimbo thinks this is "democracy" in action. The guy's an objectivist! If ever there were a "philosophy" that fundamentally despised the common cause, objectivism is it. I would need some convincing that "fuck you, Jack, I'm all right" is a strong statement of democratic values.

Maybe I shouldn't mock. Dialogue is good, isn't it? Well, not really. When you gather a crowd and let them talk, what you generally get is babble. The interwebnet is chockers with babble. While it doesn't surprise me that Jimbo wants to corner the market in babble about politics (after all, it's more content for scrapers to smear all over the web and another way for him to get his face in the papers), I fear that the chances of anything positive coming from it are about the same as something positive coming from the Uselessnet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home