Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Regression therapy

Loved this article.

I noted in the US election that Bush smeared Kerry by calling him the most liberal senator in the house.

This is an insult? Liberal means to me "for the people" and not "for big business". It means to be "supports freedom" and not "supports repression". It means "antifascist". It means "keep your nose out of what doesn't concern you, like my body, what I put into it and who I fuck with it".

I'm all for calling the right what they are. In the case of the Bushistas, fascists is correct. By any measure their regime is fascist and only our fear of history keeps us from calling it as we see it.

Given their pre-Enlightenment attitudes on most things, I'm all for "regressive" and that's what I'm going to call them too. After all, that's what they are, backward-looking life-haters who want to unravel the goods that we have fought for and gained and reimpose the evils of yesteryear.

We need to wrest words from them. They are cunning but we are smart. Yes, cunning has superficial appeal to the rubes but smartness is ultimately what builds. They have Machiavelli but we have Leonardo. They have Hitler and Goebbels but we have Einstein.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home