Thursday, November 11, 2004

Fire it up

Okay, I'm not the first. I'm not even the eight millionth. But I've never claimed to be a trailblazer (which is just as well, otherwise I'd be laughed out of the virtual room). But I have switched to Firefox and I say Fuck you very much, Mr Gates.

It has a few problems (it seems to need to think things over from time to time, freezing up my whole machine) but it does have the features I need, above and beyond that piece of shit that masquerades as a browser but works as a revolving door for spyware, trojans and other bastids who want into my PC, IE. I'm particularly going to enjoy tabbed browsing (open everything! spend all day reading nonsense about nothing much in particular) and it's handy that I can get the RSS feed of favourite blogs and my Haloscan comments in my toolbar. Now the wit and wisdom of my beloved readers will never pass me by. There is all sorts of other functionality, so they say, although I'm too lazy to find out about much of it (with a bit of luck Father Luke will be along to tell me what I really need to know).

What makes Firefox great? Forget the functions. Forget everything. It was done for nothing. That's what. No one makes a fortune out of it.

For a believer in community, in the commonality of the human race, in giving as well as taking, it is a monument, a wonder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home