Friday, October 17, 2003

Rock action

The fractured, intricate music that I suppose you could label - if you insist on labels - new folk or ambient rock/electronica appeals to me in a deep way. I've never really analysed why.
By this label, I'm meaning on the rock side Mogwai, Sigur Ros, on the electronica side Boards of Canada, Manitoba, Four Tet, Aphex Twin even. If you know these bands, you're getting the picture.
They take a bit of listening to. There are jagged edges. There are "difficult" chords (I'm guessing, but they sound difficult to me).

Is it stretching to suggest that these are quiet revolts against the order of the day? I know second hand that Mogwai are political, anti-commercial, so I suppose for them this is true, but am I romanticising these bands by suggesting that making intricate, difficult music is the last stand of a culture that has died in a morass of boy bands and comped actresses who can't sing (or act, mostly).

Probably it is, but if I cannot find romance in this world, I will have to die.

Rock action saw Mogwai leave the shores of rock and enter a strange world of muted electronics, awkward motifs and dangerous undercurrents. Listening to it is sometimes like that moment in the sea when you've been swimming and have tired a little, put your feet down and realised that you are just out of your depth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home